About Me

My photo
If you think this is about YOU, maybe you should go reconcile with your parent and work to get back your kids instead of continuing to be a jerk. If you think I am you, or similar to you, welcome! :-)

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Not Extreme Couponing Part II

I do use coupons. I don't use the big coupon clippers who sell 70 to 100 coupons of one item at a time, but the little guys, such as kittyklippers and zirbco on eBay. It makes more sense to buy from a cottage industry than to go for the big packs of coupons. I do not know what I would do with 200 bottles of hand soap in pumps, anyway!  I have enough junk around here without my very own collection of snack cakes or tomato sauce to an extreme.


I also try to look local when I choose those coupons. I've discovered sometimes coupons from the west coast won't work at all in local stores, or won't work for the same amount of money. Fortunately, "local" is changing as manufacturers get a clue.  I am still looking for Ken's salad dressing in 8 or 9 ounce bottles, because I can buy one, get one free according to the coupon, and I have 20 coupons. I only have 5 more days to try to find them. Every store in our area carries the 16 ounce bottles, and that just doesn't work. If I don't find those bottles, I've lost $2.98 in clipper cost. I do have 10 Vienna hot dog coupons. Memorial Day is coming at the end of the month, and those hot dogs will go on sale.


I store my coupons in a binder by month, like coupons held together with paper clips, several clips in clear sheet protectors. There is no need for me to get high tech when low tech will do just fine. The later I can find an expiration date, the more of a chance I have of finding a price match-up for a sale.

On each index separator, I have a list of the coupons by expiration dates. I type the list when I have a sufficient number of coupon items for that month. I add onto the list in good old pen or pencil if I acquire more.  


I keep an Excel log that essentially keeps track of how much I spend on groceries, household items and toiletries combined, including how much I spend on coupon clippers. remember, I am not buying coupons! That's against the contract on coupons. Coupons are free. It's the services of the clippers I purchase.

No comments: