About Me

My photo
If you think this is about YOU, maybe you should go reconcile with your parent and work to get back your kids instead of continuing to be a jerk. If you think I am you, or similar to you, welcome! :-)

Friday, February 24, 2012

Farewell, McDonald's!

It's better for my health and my purse, I am sure. It's better for the rest of the family, as well. It isn't as if I went there every day of the month, or even once a week. McDonald's and I are parting company after 40-some-odd years, excepting for the giant unsweetened tea. 

It isn't out of some patriotic boycott. It isn't because my favorite sandwich, the Double Fillet O'Fish, cost $4.19 all by itself in my area. And despite the health benefits, it's not about health; at least, it's not the health issues of bad McDonald's versus healthy me.

There was a time in this world when I could go to work, go out and party after work, wolf down a huge 12-inch Chicago submarine sandwich, fully loaded, and bring home another 12-inch sub for breakfast, to be eaten in a few hours. I gained no weight as a result. My stomach never complained. 

I know I went to McDonald's before my 14th birthday, but I'll never forget the first time I went alone and paid for it. I had a lovely hamburger, an order of fries, and a hot chocolate. It tasted like Heaven.

But my body has changed, and with it, my trips to McDonald's. After a couple years of tests, three food diaries, antibiotics and several rounds of various forms of Omeprazole, I now know there are some foods that just don't agree with me any longer. So does my doctor. 

It's not a long list: Iceberg lettuce, coffee, regular orange juice, and most of the menu of McDonald's. Everything's healed, there's no hernia, and yet- when I go to McDonald's, even if I've had a pill prior, it attacks me, painfully. Everything must stop while digestion takes place, and it's a painful process. 

So, it's now 6 to 8 little meals, lean meats, fresh veggies and fruits excepting the offending lettuce, and no more Mikky D's. 

I won't hurt again, but I already miss those double Fillets!

No comments: