About Me

My photo
If you think this is about YOU, maybe you should go reconcile with your parent and work to get back your kids instead of continuing to be a jerk. If you think I am you, or similar to you, welcome! :-)

Sunday, February 26, 2012

March Deals

In our quest to keep a handle on finances, whether because we need it for court costs or just to get Junior a new pair of gym shoes, I announces some deals I've found from time to time. March looks like it's going to be a great time for some stuff.

  • EGGS: I've recently seen eggs as low as 89 cents a dozen in my area. During the winter months, eggs were as high as $1.89 a dozen, so that's a significant drop. Eggs will store in your refrigerator for 3 to 5 weeks. If you want to take advantage of these sales and you have freezer capacity, eggs DO freeze with very minimal leg work. Whites can simply be frozen, and need no help except taking them out of the bag and flopping them into freezer-strength sandwich bags (50 cents to a dollar with coupon, and at least 50 bags). Whole eggs need to be beaten with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar or salt for every 4 eggs (about a cup), then put in freezer-strength bags. I've frozen mine two-by-two with a 1/4 teaspoon of salt and no worries. Skipping the salt step will give you a gummy yolk that won't mix well in anything. Defrosting in the microwave will cook the eggs, especially the yolk. Place all the egg bags flat in a container. If you did what I did, you will have to defrost a container of 5 bags, 2 eggs per bag, placed in a round freezer container. It's kind of like a puzzle. Make sure you cook frozen eggs thoroughly, no runny yolks or over-easy.
  • TUNA: I haven't seen as much canned tuna as I would like. I did find some locally at 69 cents a can, limit 6, Chicken O' the Sea. Tuna is a great staple for food pantries, stockpiles and emergency supplies. It also makes a wonderful tuna casserole, tuna burgers, and tuna salad.
  • OTHER FISH: I am NOT a fan of fishsticks, but the kids are. I saw Gorton's on sale at Walmart for $3.98 and $3.96 for the big packages of traditional fishsticks, fish fingers, fish portions and fish for sandwiches. I had coupons, so that got whittled down in a hurry. I also saw Great Value (Walmart store brand) on sale for $3.88. I also saw talapia for $2.98 for a 16-ounce package and salmon for $5 a 12-ounce package (same as last year). I don't think it's going to get any cheaper. 
  • TOMATOES, STRAWBERRIES, ONIONS: It's harvest season in California and parts of Mexico. I saw some really fabulous tomatoes this week for 49 cents a pound. They don't taste like plastic, have good color and nice skins. Poteet, Texas, doesn't have their Strawberry festival until the middle of April, but that's not stopping strawberries from ripening and coming to your market early, at 99 cents to $1.50 a more-or-less pint basket. Onions from Georgia are popping up, sweet and fresh at 39 cents to 59 cents a pound. Tomatoes don't freeze well, but if you find them cheap enough and of sufficient high quality, they certainly brighten the cold months. Onions need to be stored in a cool, dry, dark place- NOT the refrigerator. Onions can also be sliced, chopped or diced, then stored in freezer in the freezer in bags. As for strawberries, freeze them on a cookie sheet and dump them into a big freezer bag.

No comments: